Facts about Moose
Interesting facts and information about the Moose
Facts & Info About Moose
Increase your knowledge of Facts about the Moose with some brief, but essential information & fast facts about this popular animal. Important facts, data and info containing details of the description, name origins and habitat of Moose. Details of the size, height and weight. Where they live and what they eat! Discover what their lives are like! A mixture of Factual information together with cool, fun, strange, amazing, weird and even funny facts about Moose. A detailed Fact Sheet covering a whole host of topics and Moose facts! Have Fun!
Description of Moose
The Moose (Cervus elaphus) is described as a large northern Deer with huge flattened antlers in the male. The Moose is an Artiodactyl ruminant mammal of the family Cervidae. Ruminant animals are even-toed, cud-chewing, hoofed, usually horned mammals which have a stomach divided into four (occasionally three) compartments. Moose are characterised by having deciduous antlers which are borne chiefly by the males. Examples of ruminant mammals are cattle, sheep, goats, deer, and giraffes. The Moose family also includes the deer, caribou, and reindeer.
This animal is commonly called an Elk in Europe and called a moose in North America. Another American name for the Elk is the Wapiti.
Species of Moose
There are several different species of Moose which include:
- Alces alces - European elk
- Alces americana - Eastern Canadian (Taiga) moose
- Alces cameloides - Siberian moose
- Alces gigas Alaskan (Yukon) moose
- Alces shirasi Shiras (Wyoming) moose
- Alces andersoni - Western Canadian (Manitoba) moose)
Facts about where Moose live and what they eat!
Moose are native to North America, Europe and Asia
The common habitat are mountain meadows and forests
The Moose are herbivores and live on a diet of grass, plants, bushes and saplings
Basic Facts about Moose
The name of a male is referred to as a bull
The name of a female is referred to as a cow
The name or offspring, or a baby Moose, is a calf
The average size of a litter is one or two
The collective name for a group of Moose is a herd or gang
The sound made by a Moose is referred to as a bark or bugle
Facts about the Size of Male Moose
Fully grown they reach the height of 0.8-1.5 metres
An adult weighs on average 250-450 kg
The antlers range between 1.1 and 1.5 Metres
|Cool and Facts about the life, behavior and personality of Elk|
- Moose have compact bodies with long, powerful legs
- Moose are excellent runners
- Herds are dominated by one female
- Moose are smaller than moose
- Male Antlers are generally 10% larger than female antlers
|What does that word mean?? |
Some fascinating information & facts about the words that are often used to describe animals! Read the facts and information and decide how Moose should be described!
- What is a Mammal?
- What is a Vertebrate?
- A Vertebrate is an animal that has a backbone which consists of ring-like bones, called vertebrae, that protect the soft spinal cord
- What is an Invertebrate?
- An Invertebrate animal does not have a backbone. They are also cold-blooded which means their body temperature changes according to the environment environment
- What is a Carnivore?
- A Carnivore is an animal which eats mainly meat
- What is a Herbivore?
- A Herbivore is an animal which eats mainly plants and grass
- What is an Omnivore?
- An Omnivore is an animal which eats both meat and plants
- What is an Amphibian?
- An Amphibian is an animal spend part of its life under water (breathing with gills) and the remainder on land (breathing with lungs)
Some fascinating information & facts about the words that are often used to describe animals! Read the information and decide how a Moose should be described!
Moose Facts and Information about Moose
We hope that the selection of Facts about Moose has provided you with the information you have been searching for! A mixture of Factual information together with cool, fun, strange, amazing, weird and even funny facts about this amazing animal. A detailed Fact Sheet covering a whole host of topics information and facts about Moose. We believe that the concise and fun facts provided are full of interesting information about this popular animal! The internet is a great resource for information - you don't even need to go to the library to get fast facts about Moose! Great for homework, or projects, an ideal Educational Resource for facts about Moose!
Facts and Info about the Moose
Interesting Facts & Information about Animals and the Natural World