Facts about Wapiti
Interesting facts and information about the Wapiti
Facts & Info About Wapiti
Increase your knowledge of Facts about the Wapiti with some brief, but essential information & fast facts about this popular animal. Important facts, data and info containing details of the description, name origins and habitat of Wapitis. Details of the size, height and weight. Where they live and what they eat! Discover what their lives are like! A mixture of Factual information together with cool, fun, strange, amazing, weird and even funny facts about Wapitis. A detailed Fact Sheet covering a whole host of topics and Wapiti facts! Have Fun!
Description of Wapiti
The Wapiti (Cervus elaphus) is described as a large northern deer with huge flattened antlers in the male. Another American name for the Elk is the Wapiti. The Wapiti is an Artiodactyl ruminant mammal of the family Cervidae. Ruminant animals are even-toed, cud-chewing, hoofed, usually horned mammals which have a stomach divided into four (occasionally three) compartments. The Deer family are characterised by having deciduous antlers which are borne chiefly by the males. Examples of ruminant mammals are cattle, sheep, goats, deer, and giraffes. The deer family also includes the moose, caribou, and reindeer.
This animal is commonly called an Elk in Europe and called a moose or Wapiti in North America.
Species of Wapiti
There are several different species of Wapiti, or Elk:
- Alces alces - European elk
- Cervus elaphus canadensis - Eastern Elk
- Cervus elaphus roosevelti - Roosevelt Elk
- Cervus elaphus nannodes - Tule Elk
- Cervus elaphus nelsoni - Rocky Mountain Elk
- Cervus elaphus merriami - Merriam Elk
- Cervus elaphus manitobensis - Manitoban Elk
Facts about where Wapitis live and what they eat!
Wapiti are native to North America, Europe and Asia
The common habitat are mountain meadows and forests
The Wapiti are herbivores and live on a diet of grass, plants, bushes and saplings
Basic Facts about Wapitis
The name of a male is referred to as a bull
The name of a female is referred to as a cow
The name or offspring, or a baby Wapiti, is a calf
The average size of a litter is one or two
The collective name for a group of Wapiti is a herd or gang
The sound made by a Wapiti is referred to as a bark or bugle
Facts about the Size of Male Wapiti
Fully grown they reach the height of 0.8-1.5 metres
An adult weighs on average 250-450 kg
The antlers range between 1.1 and 1.5 Metres
|Cool and Facts about the life, behavior and personality of Wapiti|
- Wapiti have compact bodies with long, powerful legs
- Wapiti are excellent runners
- Herds are dominated by one female
|What does that word mean?? |
Some fascinating information & facts about the words that are often used to describe animals! Read the facts and information and decide how Wapiti should be described!
- What is a Mammal?
- What is a Vertebrate?
- A Vertebrate is an animal that has a backbone which consists of ring-like bones, called vertebrae, that protect the soft spinal cord
- What is an Invertebrate?
- An Invertebrate animal does not have a backbone. They are also cold-blooded which means their body temperature changes according to the environment environment
- What is a Carnivore?
- A Carnivore is an animal which eats mainly meat
- What is a Herbivore?
- A Herbivore is an animal which eats mainly plants and grass
- What is an Omnivore?
- An Omnivore is an animal which eats both meat and plants
- What is an Amphibian?
- An Amphibian is an animal spend part of its life under water (breathing with gills) and the remainder on land (breathing with lungs)
Some fascinating information & facts about the words that are often used to describe animals! Read the information and decide how a Wapiti should be described!
Wapiti Facts and Information about Wapiti
We hope that the selection of Facts about Wapiti has provided you with the information you have been searching for! A mixture of Factual information together with cool, fun, strange, amazing, weird and even funny facts about this amazing animal. A detailed Fact Sheet covering a whole host of topics information and facts about Wapiti. We believe that the concise and fun facts provided are full of interesting information about this popular animal! The internet is a great resource for information - you don't even need to go to the library to get fast facts about Wapiti! Great for homework, or projects, an ideal Educational Resource for facts about Wapiti!
Facts and Info about the Wapiti
Interesting Facts & Information about Animals and the Natural World