Interesting Facts about Duke Ellington
Unusual and interesting facts, information and trivia on famous composers from our collection of interesting facts about Duke Ellington. The life and times of Duke Ellington. Perfect for fast homework help on facts about famous composers that is suitable for kids, children and adults.
Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about Duke Ellington
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Duke Ellington, trivia and information, including some useful details of facts about the life events of this famous composer will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about this famous classical composer and musician are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Accomplishments and reasons Duke Ellington is famous: Composer and musician - he was one of the leading Jazz musicians in the 20th century
- Fact 2 - Date of Birth: Duke Ellington was born on July 6, 1971
- Fact 3 - Place of Birth: Corona, Queens, New York City
- Fact 4 - Full Name: Edward Kennedy Ellington
- Fact 5 - Lifespan: 1899 – 1974
- Fact 6 - Name of mother and father: His parents names were James Edward Ellington and Daisy Kennedy Ellington
- Fact 7 - Family background: His family were descended from slaves. His parents were both pianists and encouraged their son to learn music and play the piano - Duke Ellington was taught by the jazz pianist Harvey Brooks
- Fact 8 - Childhood and education: A clever and artistic child Duke Ellington studied music and art at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York
- Fact 9 - Nickname: When he was still at school he gained his nickname, "Duke," after a friend recommended that Ellington should have some sort of title for his musical talent
- Fact 10 - His first important job was at the Cotton Club in Harlem
- Fact 11 - Duke Ellington became well known as a successful bandleader and musician and toured the world including Europe, South America and Australia
- Fact 12 - His co-arranger was Billy Strayhorn
- Fact 13 - The most famous works by Duke Ellington include "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," "Mood Indigo," and "I Let a Song Get Out of My Head."
- Fact 14 - In 1959 Duke Ellington was awarded the Springarn Medal from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). He was awarded the Medal of Freedom by President Richard Nixon
- Fact 15 - Duke Ellington referred to his music as "American Music" rather than jazz music
- Fact 16 - Date of Death: Duke Ellington died on May 24, 1974 in New York from lung cancer
- Fact 17 - In 1999 the Pulitzer Prize Board awarded a special posthumous honor to Duke Ellington
- Fact 18 - His music lives on and the musical works of Duke Ellington including over 1000 compositions including music such as Dixieland, Big band, Swing, blues, gospel, film scores, Classical music and Orchestral jazz
Facts about Duke Ellington
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about Duke Ellington which we hope will be of help with homework about famous composers. Most of these interesting facts about Duke Ellington are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia about the life and times of Duke Ellington! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information on this famous composer and musician will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of Duke Ellington.