Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about Alcohol
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Alcohol, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Alcohol are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Alcohol is made of any fermented or distilled liquor that contains ethyl alcohol, or ethanol, as an intoxicating
- Fact 2 - Alcohol always contain an intoxicating agent
- Fact 3 - The word 'Alcohol' derives from the Arabic word 'al-kuhul' meaning powdered antimony.
- Fact 4 - The liver changes alcohol into the highly toxic substance acetaldehyde which is then turned into the harmless acetate and excreted through urine, breath and sweat.
- Fact 5 - Alcohol misuse can be directly related to deaths from certain types of diseases, such as cirrhosis of the liver
- Fact 6 - Vitamin deficiencies, sexual problems, and ulcers also result from long term alcohol abuse.
- Fact 7 - Various circulatory disease such as strokes and heart disease also result from long term alcohol abuse.
- Fact 8 - Nearly 20% of drivers aged under 21 who died in motor vehicle crashes had been drinking alcohol
- Fact 9 - People who can drink ALCOHOL heavily without becoming intoxicated have probably developed a tolerance for alcohol, which can indicate the onset of dependency. Alcohol rehab can always give you the help you deserve if this becomes a problem.
- Fact 10 - Binge drinking is generally defined as the consumption of 5 or more drinks on 1 occasion
- Fact 11 - The word 'Vodka' derives from the Russian word 'voda' meaning water. Vodka is made using rye, corn, or potatoes
- Fact 12 - Rum is an alcoholic liquor which was originally distilled from a fermented cane product such as molasses or sugar cane
- Fact 13 - The word 'Brandy' is a shortened version of Brandywine and derives from the Dutch word 'brandewijn' - 'brant' meaning distilled and 'wijn' meaning wine. Brandy was originally distilled from wine or fermented fruit juice, such as apples
- Fact 14 - The word 'Gin' derives from the Old French word 'geneva' meaning juniper. Gin was originally distilled or redistilled from rye or other and adding juniper berries as flavoring. Other flavoring or aromatics then added such as anise, caraway seeds, or angelica root
- Fact 15 - The word 'Whiskey' derives from the from the Gaelic for meaning “water of life”. Whiskey is distilled from a fermented mash of grain such as malt, corn, rye, wheat or barley.
- Fact 16 - Tequila is a colorless intoxicating liquor made by fermenting and distilling the sweet sap of the blue agave cactus plant
- Fact 17 - Bacardi is a rum based drink from Cuba and made od a secret recipe that includes filtering the rum through charcoal to remove any impurities.
- Fact 18 - Liqueurs are sweet alcohol drinks which are flavoured with a variety of different ingredients and come in a variety of different colors. The name derives from the Latin word 'liquifacere' which means to melt or dissolve - the flavorings used to make liqueurs are dissolved.
- Fact 19 - All liqueurs have distinctive flavorings added. Liqueur drinks might be flavored from a variety of flavors from fruits, herbs, spices, flowers, seeds, nuts, roots, plants, barks, eggs and cream
If you have an alcohol problem, consider seeking help at alcohol detox centers now
so you can avoid the effects of long term alcohol abuse.
Facts about Alcohol
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about Alcohol which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Alcohol are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about Alcohol and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of Alcohol.