Did you Know? List of Facts about Armadillos
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Armadillos, trivia and information, including some useful statistics about animals will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Armadillos are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: An Armadillo is a burrowing, chiefly nocturnal, mammal with body covered with strong horny plates. It is a primitive terrestrial mammal with few if any teeth; of tropical Central America and South America. The body and head are encased in an armor composed of small bony plates.
- Fact 2 - There are several species, one of which (the peba) is found as far north as Texas.
- Fact 3 - They are of the family Dasypodidae and are are the only surviving family in the order Cingulata, part of the super-order Xenarthra along with the anteaters and Sloths
- Fact 4 - Armadillos burrow in the earth, seldom going abroad except at night
- Fact 5 - When attacked, they curl up into a ball, presenting the armor on all sides
- Fact 6 - There are 20 species of Armadillos
- Fact 7 - Armadillos are good swimmers and excellent swimmers
- Fact 8 - Armadillos stats and facts
- Weight: 85 g - 50 kg
- Height: 13 cm- 150 cm
- Habitat: Various including pampas, arid deserts, prairies and rainforests
- Lifespan: 12 - 15 years
- Diet: Armadillos are Omnivorous
- Fact 9 - The extant giant of this group is the Giant Armadillo (Priodontes maximus). The top size for this species is 40 kg (132 lb) and 1.5 m (5 ft) in length
- Fact 10 - Much larger prehistoric examples are known, especially Glyptodon, which easily topped 2.7 m (9 ft) and 2 tonnes (4,400 lb)
- Fact 11 - The armor on the back of Armadillos is made up of plates of dermal bone, covered by overlapping scales called ‘scutes’ which act as protection from predators
- Fact 12 - The word ‘Armadillo’ means ‘little armored one’ in Spanish
- Fact 13 - Armadillos can jump up in the air to a height of 3 ft, when they are startled
- Fact 14 - Armadillos have a long sticky tongue
- Fact 15 - The collective name for a group is a "pack" "herd" or "arrangement"
- Fact 16 - Males are called Males
- Fact 17 - Females are called Females
- Fact 18 - The names given to babies are Pups
Facts about the Armadillos - Scientific Names / Classification
Scientific Names / Classification of Armadillos - The scientists who study animals (zoology) are called zoologists. Each animal that is studied is classified, that is, split into descriptive groups starting with main groups (vertebrates and invertebrates) the Families of animals are also included and the families are then split into species. These various scientific facts about Armadillos are as follows:
- Kingdom: Animalia
Facts about Armadillos
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about Armadillos which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Armadillos are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia and facts! Many of these interesting pieces of animal information and fun facts about Armadillos and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of animals and Armadillos.