Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about Deserts
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Deserts, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Deserts are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: Deserts are arid region of dry terrain with little or no vegetation, described as without cultivation, unproductive, waste, barren, wild or desolate
- Fact 2 - African Deserts include the Sahara. The Sahara is the largest dessert in the world and over 8,600,000 square km. The Libyan is over 1,100,000 sq. km. The Kalahari Desert is over 900,000 sq. km.
- Fact 3 - Asian Deserts include the Arabian Desert which is largest (extremely dry and cold climate) and is over 2,300,000 sq. km. The Gobi (extremely cold climate and rocky terrain) covers part of China and Mongolia covering 1,300,000 sq. km. The Thar is located between Western India and South-eastern Pakistan
- Fact 4 - North American Desserts include the cool Great Basin which covers 200,000 sq. km in Nevada and half of Utah. The Sonoran or Gila Desert covering 310,800 sq. km. in Arizona
- Fact 5 - Australian Deserts include the Great Victoria covering 424, 400 sq. km. (South and Western Australia). The Great Sandy in North West Australia covering 360,000 sq. km. area
- Fact 6 - North American Desserts include the cool Great Basin which covers 200,000 sq. km in Nevada and half of Utah. The Sonoran or Gila Desert covering 310,800 sq. km. in Arizona
- Fact 7 - South American Deserts include the cold Patagonian Desert covering over 673, 000 sq. km in Southern Argentina. Atacama Desert covering 181,300 sq. km. between the Andes Mountains and Pacific Ocean
- Fact 8 - Australian Deserts include the Great Victoria covering 424, 400 sq. km. (South and Western Australia). The Great Sandy in North West Australia covering 360,000 sq. km. area
- Fact 9 - A typical desert plant has a deep root system allowing the roots to grow deep down the soil where they absorb soil water, which is then transported to the upper portions of the plant.
- Fact 10 - Desert animals include camels, sheep, donkeys, dingoes, lizards, moles, Meer cats, armadillos rats and snakes
- Fact 11 - Deserts cover about 20% of the land area of the world.
- Fact 12 - Deserts receives less than 10 inches of rain per year
- Fact 13 - Deserts are not always hot - they can be scorching during the day and below freezing at night
- Fact 14 - Some deserts such as the Gobi Desert and the Antarctic desert are always cold
- Fact 15 - Only about 10% of deserts are covered by sand-dunes. The Sahara desert consists pf 30% sand and 70% gravel
- Fact 16 - Plants may have to go without fresh water for years at a time in deserts but many can live to be hundreds of years old
Facts about Deserts
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about Deserts which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Deserts are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about Deserts and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of Deserts.