Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about Dinosaurs
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Dinosaurs, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Dinosaurs are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: Numerous extinct terrestrial reptiles of the Mesozoic era
- Fact 2 - Dinosaurs existed between about 230 million and 65 million years ago
- Fact 3 - The "age of dinosaurs" (the Mesozoic Era) included three consecutive geologic time periods (the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous Periods).
- Fact 4 - There is evidence that a meteorite impact was at least the partial cause for the extinction of Dinosaurs
- Fact 5 - After the dinosaurs died out, nearly 65 million years passed before people appeared on Earth
- Fact 6 - Over 700 different species of dinosaurs have been identified and named
- Fact 7 - Dinosaurs lived on all of the continents
- Fact 8 - Most Dinosaurs ate plants but others hunted other dinosaurs or scavenged dead animals
- Fact 9 - Dinosaurs are believed to be brightly colored as modern snakes or birds
- Fact 10 - The most ferocious dinosaur was the Tyrannosaurus rex
- Fact 11 - The longest dinosaur was Seismosaurus, which measured over 40 metres
- Fact 12 - The tallest dinosaur was the Sauroposeidon growing to 18.5 metres tall
- Fact 13 - The largest flying dinosaur was the Quetzalocoatlus which had a wingspan of up to 13 metres
- Fact 14 - The heaviest dinosaur was Brachiosaurus
- Fact 15 - The smallest dinosaur was the Lesothosaurus, which was only the size of a chicken
- Fact 16 - The word "dinosaur", meaning terrible lizard, was given in 1842 by the English paleontologist Richard Owen. Dino derives from the Greek word 'deinos' meaning "terrible, powerful, wondrous" + 'Saur' derives from the Greek word 'sauros' meaning "lizard"
- Fact 17 - Many Paleontologists believe that birds are the descendants of theropod dinosaurs
- Fact 18 - Some dinosaurs were bipeds, some were quadrupeds and others could walk just as easily on two or four legs
- Fact 19 - Rev William Buckland, a professor of geology, was the first person to describe a dinosaur in a scientific journal
- Fact 20 - Extinct - EX (Status: Extinct) - These animals are no longer in existence.
Facts about Dinosaurs
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Dinosaurs are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about Dinosaurs and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of the Dinosaur.