Did you Know? List of Facts about Gila Monsters
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Gila Monsters, trivia and information, including some useful statistics about animals will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Gila Monsters are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: The Gila monster, Heloderma suspectum, is a species of large, ground-dwelling,
venomous Lizard which is native to the south-western United States and northern Mexico. The Gila monster is heavily built with a large blunt head and short thick tail.
- Fact 2 - It has black, orange, pink or yellow blotches, bars and spots with bands extending across its tail and raised knobbly scales across its back
- Fact 3 - It is named after the Gila River Basin of south-western United States
- Fact 4 - The Gila monster and the Beaded lizard are the only two venomous lizards in the world
- Fact 5 - Gila monsters do not inject venom - they latch onto victims and chew to allow neuro-toxins to penetrate the open wound
- Fact 6 - Gila monsters store fat in their tails and can go without food for months
- Fact 7 - Gila monsters they use their tongues to pick up and convey scents just like Snakes
- Fact 8 - Gila Monsters stats and facts
- Weight: 5 pounds (2.3 kilograms
- Length: 22 inches (56 cm)
- Habitat: Desert and semi-arid regions of gravelly and sandy soils with shrubs
- Lifespan: 20 years
- Diet: Gila Monsters eat small birds and mammals, eggs, lizards, frogs, insects and carrion.
- Fact 9 - Their venom is only used to kill large prey
- Fact 10 - Gila monsters tend to avoid humans and other large animals
- Fact 11 - The collective name for a group is a Lounge
- Fact 12 - Males are called Bulls
- Fact 13 - Females are called Cows
- Fact 14 - The names given to babies are Hatchlings
- Fact 15 - The range of the Gila monster is primarily in Arizona and Mexico. They are protected under Arizona law.
- Fact 16 - Conservation Status - for more info click Endangered Species:
- The Gila Monsters are listed by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) as 'endangered'
- Near Threatened - NT (Status: At Lower Risk) - May be considered threatened in the near future.
Facts about the Gila Monsters - Scientific Names / Classification
Scientific Names / Classification of Gila Monsters - The scientists who study animals (zoology) are called zoologists. Each animal that is studied is classified, that is, split into descriptive groups starting with main groups (vertebrates and invertebrates) the Families of animals are also included and the families are then split into species. These various scientific facts about Gila Monsters are as follows:
- Kingdom: Animalia
Species: H. suspectum
Facts about Gila Monsters
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about Gila Monsters which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Gila Monsters are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia and facts! Many of these interesting pieces of animal information and fun facts about Gila Monsters and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of animals and Gila Monsters.