Did you Know? List of Facts about the Goat
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about the Goat, trivia and information, including some useful statistics about animals will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about the Goat are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: The goat is the Bovidae family and is closely related to the sheep: both are in the goat-antelope subfamily Caprinae. Goats have a a beard and straight horns.
- Fact 2 - The Cashmere and Angora varieties of the goat have long, silky hair, used in the manufacture of textile fabrics
- Fact 3 - The wild or bezoar goat (Capra aegagrus), of Asia Minor, noted for the bezoar stones found in its stomach, is supposed to be one of the ancestral species of the domestic goat
- Fact 4 - The Rocky Montain goat (Haplocercus montanus) is more closely related to Antelopes
- Fact 5 - Bovids are cloven-hoofed mammals belonging to the family Bovidae) whose members include Bison, African Buffalo, water buffalo, Antelopes, Gazelles and Sheep
- Fact 6 - Both male and female goats can have beards
- Fact 7 - The Goat is able to breed at any time of the year
- Fact 8 - Goat stats and facts
- Weight: 170lbs
- Height: 3ft 2 ins
- Habitat: Grasslands and Mountains
- Lifespan: 15-18 years
- Diet: the Goat are herbivores eating mainly hay, grass and ferns.
- Fact 9 - The Goat is one of the first animals to be domesticated by humans
- Fact 10 - Ruminant animals, like the goat, are even-toed, cud-chewing, hoofed, usually horned mammals which have a stomach divided into four (occasionally three) compartments
- Fact 11 - The goat has very sensitive lips
- Fact 12 - Goats are very clean and will not eat food that is soiled
- Fact 13 - Cross-bred goats are often referred to as "Brush Goats"
- Fact 14 - The pupil in a goat's eye is rectangular in shape instead of being round
- Fact 15 - The collective name for a group is a Herd, Trip or Tribe
- Fact 16 - Males are called Billy or Buck
- Fact 17 - Females are called Nanny or Doe
- Fact 18 - The names given to babies are Billy or Kid
- Fact 19 - The products most associated with the goat are milk, cheese, meat, mohair and cashmere
Facts about the Goat - Scientific Names / Classification
Scientific Names / Classification of the Goat - The scientists who study animals (zoology) are called zoologists. Each animal that is studied is classified, that is, split into descriptive groups starting with main groups (vertebrates and invertebrates) the Families of animals are also included and the families are then split into species. These various scientific facts about the Goat are as follows:
- Kingdom: Animalia
Species: C. aegagrus
Subspecies: C. a. hircus
Facts about the Goat
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about the Goat which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about the Goat are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia and facts! Many of these interesting pieces of animal information and fun facts about the Goat and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of animals and the Goat.