Did you Know? List of Facts about Llamas
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Llamas, trivia and information, including some useful statistics about animals will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Llamas are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: The llama (Lama glama) is a wild or domesticated South American cud-chewing animal related to camels but smaller and lacking a hump. A member of the camelids which includes Camels, llamas, and Alpacas.
- Fact 2 - It is supposed to be a domesticated variety of the guanaco (the guanaco is a South American mammal (Auchenia huanaco), allied to the llama, but of larger size and more graceful form).
- Fact 3 - Llamas were formerly much used as a beast of burden in the Andes.
- Fact 4 - An alpaca is a domesticated llama with long silky fleece; believed to be a domesticated variety of the guanaco
- Fact 5 - The color of llamas vary from black, white, brown and gray
- Fact 6 - Like camels, the llama is known to spit if threatened
- Fact 7 - Llamas are very social animals and live together in herds
- Fact 8 - Llamas stats and facts
- Weight: 130 to 200 kilograms (280 to 450 lb)
- Height: 1.7 m to 1.8 m (5.5 to 6 ft)
- Habitat: Mountainous areas, grasslands and deserts
- Lifespan: 15 to 30 years
- Diet: Llamas are herbivores eating mainly grass and ferns.
- Fact 9 - Llamas are intelligent animals and can learn simple tasks
- Fact 10 - The ears of Llamas are long and curved slightly inward, characteristically known as "banana" shaped
- Fact 11 - The guanaco and vicuna are wild Llamas
- Fact 12 - The main difference between llamas and camels is that camels have a hump or humps and llamas do not
- Fact 13 - Llamas give birth standing up
- Fact 14 - There are 2 types of llamas: the short coated Ccara and the medium coated Curaca
- Fact 15 - The collective name for a group is a flock
- Fact 16 - Males are called bull
- Fact 17 - Females are called cow
- Fact 18 - The names given to babies are calf
Facts about the Llamas - Scientific Names / Classification
Scientific Names / Classification of Llamas - The scientists who study animals (zoology) are called zoologists. Each animal that is studied is classified, that is, split into descriptive groups starting with main groups (vertebrates and invertebrates) the Families of animals are also included and the families are then split into species. These various scientific facts about Llamas are as follows:
- Kingdom: Animalia
Species: L. glama
Facts about Llamas
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about the Llama which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Llamas are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia and facts! Many of these interesting pieces of animal information and fun facts about Llamas and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of animals and Llamas.