Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about Metals
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Metals, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Metals are as follows:
Fact 1 - Definition: Metals are simple substances (chemical elements) with characteristic properties under normal conditions. The word 'metal' derives from the Greek word 'metallon' meaning to excavate, extract from the ground, or to mine
- Fact 2 - 75% of all the elements in the Periodic Table are classified as metals
- Fact 3 - Up to the Medieval era of the Middle Ages it was believed that there were only seven metals which are referred to as the 'Metals of Antiquity'
- Fact 4 - The ancient 'Metals of Antiquity' are as follows:
- Gold (6000BC)
- Copper (9000BC)
- Silver (4000BC)
- Lead (6400BC)
- Tin (3000BC)
- Iron (1500BC)
- Mercury (1500BC).
- Fact 5 - Metals have characteristics, called physical and chemical properties, in common.
- Fact 6 - They have a shiny appearance or luster
- Fact 7 - They are malleable meaning they can be easily beaten into a thin sheet
- Fact 8 - They have a shiny appearance or luster
- Fact 9 - Metals are heat resistant and only melt when they are extremely hot
- Fact 10 - They make a bell-like sound (sonorous)
- Fact 11 - Metals bend rather than break, they are elastic
- Fact 12 - They are resistant to corrosion
- Fact 13 - Metals are hard - they feel heavy (dense)
- Fact 14 - Some properties are different for certain elements - mercury is a liquid
- Fact 15 - Elements classified as Metalloids have properties of both metals and nonmetals
- Fact 16 - An alloy is a metal made by combining two or more metallic elements to give greater strength or resistance to corrosion
- Fact 17 - Bronze is an alloy made from a mixture of copper and tin
- Fact 18 - Steel is an alloy made from a mixture of iron and carbon
- Fact 19 - Brass is an alloy made from a mixture of copper and zinc
- Fact 20 - Gunmetal is an alloy made from a mixture of copper, tin, and zinc
Facts about Metals
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Metals are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information, facts and info will help you increase your knowledge on this subject.