Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about Solar Power
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Solar Power, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Solar Power are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: radiant light and heat from the sun that is converted into thermal or electrical i.e. ower collected from sunlight used to generate electricity energy
- Fact 2 - Experts believe that sunlight has the potential to supply 5,000 times as much energy as the world currently consumes
- Fact 3 - Power gained from the sun is a renewable resource and can be collected by solar panels
- Fact 4 - Solar power systems for the home consist of 6 parts – a battery, a charge controller, an inverter, solar panels, a support structure and wiring
- Fact 5 - Solar power is successfully being used for cooking, cooling, heating, communications, driving space craft, lighting and many other purposes
- Fact 6 - Electric ovens take the most amount of electrical energy, followed by microwaves and central air conditioning
- Fact 7 - Solar and Wind Power sources are increasing in popularity because unlike fossil fuel and nuclear energy they leave little waste product that can harm or pollute the earth.
- Fact 8 - America accounts for over a quarter of world energy consumption with only 5% of the world's population
- Fact 9 - Solar power is capable of providing many times the energy demand but as it is an intermittent energy source it is not available at all times
- Fact 10 - The amount of sunlight is dependent on location, time of day, time of year, and weather conditions.
- Fact 11 - A large surface area is therefore required to collect the energy at a practical rate.
- Fact 12 - 4% of the world's desert area with photovoltaics could supply the equivalent of all of the world's electricity. The technology of Photovoltaics is the conversion of sunlight into electricity - also called "solar cells"
- Fact 13 - Horace de Saussure, a Swiss scientist, invented the world’s first solar energy collector, or ‘hot box’ in 1767
Facts about Solar Power
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about Solar Power which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Solar Power are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about Solar Power and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of Solar Power.