Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about the Desert
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about the Desert, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about the Desert are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: An arid region of dry terrain with little or no vegetation, described as without cultivation, unproductive, waste, barren, wild or desolate
- Fact 2 - Deserts cover about 20% of the land area of the world.
- Fact 3 - A desert receives less than 10 inches of rain per year
- Fact 4 - Deserts are not always hot! Some deserts are scorching during the day but temperatures can drop below freezing when the sun goes down
- Fact 5 - Some deserts such as the Gobi Desert in Asia and the Antarctic desert are always cold
- Fact 6 - Only about 10 percent of deserts are covered by sand dunes
- Fact 7 - Desert plants may have to go without fresh water for years at a time and many desert plants can live to be hundreds of years old
- Fact 8 - Animal species are limited in deserts
- Fact 9 - Desert animals have adapted ways to help them keep cool and use less water. Many are nocturnal only surfacing at night
- Fact 10 - Camels can go for days without food and water
- Fact 11 - The Sahara desert consists pf 30% sand and 70% gravel
- Fact 12 - A typical desert plant has a deep root system allowing the roots to grow deep down the soil where they absorb soil water, which is then transported to the upper portions of the plant.
- Fact 13 - Desert animals include camels, sheep, donkeys, dingoes, lizards, moles, Meer cats, armadillos rats and snakes
- Fact 14 - African Deserts include the Sahara. The Sahara is the largest dessert in the world and over 8,600,000 square km. The Libyan is over 1,100,000 sq. km. The Kalahari Desert is over 900,000 sq. km.
- Fact 15 - Asian Deserts include the Arabian Desert which is largest (extremely dry and cold climate) and is over 2,300,000 sq. km. The Gobi (extremely cold climate and rocky terrain) covers part of China and Mongolia covering 1,300,000 sq. km. The Thar is located between Western India and South-eastern Pakistan
- Fact 16 - Australian Deserts include the Great Victoria covering 424, 400 sq. km. (South and Western Australia). The Great Sandy in North West Australia covering 360,000 sq. km. area
- Fact 17 - North American Desserts include the cool Great Basin which covers 200,000 sq. km in Nevada and half of Utah. The Sonoran or Gila Desert covering 310,800 sq. km. in Arizona
- Fact 18 - South American Deserts include the cold Patagonian Desert covering over 673, 000 sq. km in Southern Argentina. Atacama Desert covering 181,300 sq. km. between the Andes Mountains and Pacific Ocean
Facts about the Desert
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about the Desert which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about the Desert are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about the Desert and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of the Desert.