Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about the Ocean
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about the Ocean, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about the Ocean are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: A large body of water constituting a principal part of the hydrosphere
- Fact 2 - The surface of the earth is approximately 70.9% water and 29.1% land
- Fact 3 - The five oceans are the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, and Arctic Ocean
- Fact 4 - The oceans have an affect on the weather and temperature
- Fact 5 - A sea is a division of an ocean or a large body of salt water partially enclosed by land. The largest seas are the South China Sea, the Caribbean Sea, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Fact 6 - More than half of the area covered by oceans is over 3,000 metres (9,800 ft) deep.
- Fact 7 - Geologically, an ocean is an area of oceanic crust covered by water
- Fact 8 - Life within the ocean evolved 3 billion years prior to life on land.
- Fact 9 - Ocean currents transfer heat from the tropics to the polar regions
- Fact 10 - Ocean currents also transfer warm or cold air and rain to coastal regions, where winds may carry them inland
- Fact 11 - The average temperature of all oceans is about 39 degrees F
- Fact 12 - There are mountains, volcanoes, and deep trenches in the ocean
- Fact 13 - Tides change twice a day as the oceans rise and fall due to the the pull of the sun and moon on our earth.
- Fact 14 - Half the communications between nations use underwater cables
- Fact 15 - The oceans of the World contain nearly 20 million tons of gold
- Fact 16 - The Moon's gravitational influence produces the ocean tides
Facts about the Ocean
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about the Oceans which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about the Oceans are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about the Ocean and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of the Oceans.