Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about St Augustine
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about St Augustine, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Click the following link for Facts, information and biographies of all the Saints. Interesting Facts about St Augustine are as follows:
- Fact 1 - He is known as Augustine of Hippo
- Fact 2 - He is the Patron Saint of Theologians, sore eyes, printers and brewers
- Fact 3 - He was born in a provincial Roman city in North Africa as Aurelius
- Fact 4 - His date of birth was 13 November 354
- Fact 5 - Saint Augustine died August 28, 430
- Fact 6 - His cause of death was due to natural causes. Confessors are people who
died natural deaths as opposed to a martyr who is regarded as one who is
put to death for his Christian faith or convictions
- Fact 7 - His memorial is celebrated 28 August, the day of his death
- Fact 8 - His feast day is celebrated on 15 June
- Fact 9 - Saint Augustine is considered to be the writer of some of greatest
theological works of all time.
- Fact 10 - His mother, Monica, was a devout Christian, and his father, Patricius, a
- Fact 11 - His family were wealthy and he had a very good education
- Fact 12 - During his early life he took a number of mistresses and is famous for his
prayer "Grant me chastity and continence, but not yet"
- Fact 13 - He converted to Christianity in 386
- Fact 14 - He was baptized by Ambrose in 387
- Fact 15 - In 391 he was ordained a priest in Hippo Regius (now Annaba, in Algeria)
and founded a monastery.
- Fact 16 - He spent much of his time teaching philosophy and strict discipline
- Fact 17 - He died on August 28, 430, during the siege of Hippo by the Vandals.
Facts about St Augustine
We have included an interesting selection of trivia facts about St Augustine which we hope will be of interest Most of these trivia facts about St Augustine are quite amazing and some are little known! Many of these little known and random pieces of information and fun facts about St Augustine and info will help you increase your knowledge of this subject.