Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about Blackfoot Native Americans
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Blackfoot Native Americans, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Blackfoot Native Americans are as follows:
- Fact 1 - The Blackfoot tribe are a a member of the north-western Plains Indian people of North Dakota and South Dakota and the indigenous people of Montana, Idaho, and Alberta, Canada. The Algonquian language was spoken by the Blackfoot. The term 'blackfoot' relates to the dark colored moccasins which they wore
- Fact 2 - The Blackfoot were a tribe of nomadic hunter gatherers. Men were in charge of hunting for food and protecting the camp and the women were in charge of the home
- Fact 3 - Homes and Houses: Tepees (also spelled Teepees or Tipis) are tent-like American Indian houses used by Plains tribes
- Fact 4 - A tepee is constructed from wooden poles and animal skins such as buffalo hides and designed to be quickly set and quickly dismantled - a village could be ready to move in an hour
- Fact 5 - The name of a famous Blackfoot leader was Crowfoot who was a friend of Chief Sitting Bull who was of the Sioux tribe. Crowfoot negotiated a peace agreement with the Canadian government
- Fact 6 - Clothes and Clothing - Clothes were generally made from the skins of animals which were sewn together from the thread made from the sinews of deer.
- Fact 7 - Clothing for men: Men wore breechcloths which were made from a long rectangular piece of animal skin or cloth which was worn between the legs and tucked over a belt, so that the flaps of the breechcloth covered the front and behind. The legs were bare.
- Fact 8 - Clothing: Men also wore fringed buckskin tunics which were often decorated with beads
- Fact 9 - Clothing: Leggings were worn by both men and women to cover the bare legs and were sometimes decorated with a fringe
- Fact 10 - Clothing for women: Women wore long buckskin dresses (the skin of a male deer) which were decorated with beads
- Fact 11 - Shoes and footwear: Moccasins were made of soft leather or deerskin and sewn together with deer sinew. Moccasins were a soft slip on shoe, or slipper, consist of a sole and sides made of one piece of leather, stitched together at the top and were a dark beige color.
- Fact 12 - This tribe performed the Sun Dance in the summer
- Fact 13 - Feather War Bonnets: They also wore beaded, feathered war bonnets. The war bonnet, with its long trailer of feathers was a symbol of honor and accomplishment among Plains tribes such as the Araphaho, Sioux, Crow, Blackfoot, Cheyenne, and Plains Cree. War bonnets consisted of a cap or band decorated with eagle feathers, ermine fur and beadwork. There were 3 types of feathered war bonnets
- a trailing bonnet with feathers trailing to the floor
- a straight-up feather headdress (favored by the Blackfoot tribe)
- a halo war bonnet in which the feathers fanned out around the face and shoulders
- Fact 14 - Men wore their hair in three braids with a topknot
- Fact 15 - Hair: Women wore their hair in two, thick braids
- Fact 16 - Jewelry: Women wore beaded necklaces
Blackfoot Medicine Man
- Fact 17 - Face paint / War Paint: Men wore bright face paint in times of war and also for religious ceremonies.
- Fact 18 - Blackfoot weapons: Weapons included bows and arrows, spears and knives. They also used shields made of buffalo hides
- Fact 19 - Enemies of the Blackfoot tribe included the Shoshone, Crow and Cree
- Fact 20 - Before horses were introduced by the Europeans the Blackfoot used dogs to pull sleds called travois
- Fact 21 - Food: Men hunted buffalo and deer. Meat was supplemented by roots, berries and fruits
- Fact 22 - In 1870 200 of the Blackfoot tribe were killed in the Marias Massacre
Facts about Blackfoot Native Americans
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about Blackfoot Native Americans which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Blackfoot Indians are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about Blackfoot Native Americans and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of Blackfoot Native Americans.