Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about Indians Rhode Island
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Indians of Rhode Island, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Facts about Indians and interesting Facts about Indians Rhode Island are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Rhode Island is a state of the Northeast United States on the Atlantic Ocean. The indigenous people of this state included various tribes of Native Americans.
- Fact 2 - They inhabited lands of Woodland, lakes, rivers and streams and were hunters, fishers and farmers. Their crops included rice, squash, melons, pumpkins.
- Fact 3 - Names of Border States: Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York (water border)
- Fact 4 - Origin of the name of the state: Possibly named in honor of the Greek Island of Rhodes or was named Roode Eylandt by Adriaen Block, Dutch explorer, because of its red clay.
- Fact 5 - Features of the area: Eastern lowlands and western flat rolling hills.
- Fact 6 - The Indians of Rhode Island included the Nipmuc, Pequot, Wampanoag and Narraganset tribes
- Fact 7 - Nipmuck aka Nipmuc is an Algonquian speaking tribe. Nipmuck houses and homes were shelters framed of deciduous saplings covered with skins, bark and woven mats. Their name originated from Algonquian language meaning literally "fresh water people."
- Fact 8 - The Pequot were a war-like tribe of Eastern Woodlands cultural area. name is derived from an Algonquian word meaning “destroyers.”
- Fact 9 - The Wampanoag aka Wapenock, Massasoit’’ and ‘Philip's Indians’. "three sisters," corn (maize), beans and squash were staples of their diet, supplemented by fish and game.
- Fact 10 - The Narragansett were part of Eastern Woodlands culture and were largest and strongest tribe in New England. Narragansett were nearly exterminated during King Philip's War in 1675-1676.
- Fact 20 - 1675 - 1677 King Philip's War which proved to be the final struggle by the Native Americans of Rhode Island
Facts about Native Americans Rhode Island
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about Indians of Rhode Island which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Indians Rhode Island are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about Indians Rhode Island and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of Indians Rhode Island.