Interesting Facts about Navajo Native Americans
Unusual and interesting information and trivia from our collection of interesting facts about Navajo Indians. Perfect for fast homework help that is suitable for kids, children and adults. Navajo Home Tribal Territories: Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.
Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about Navajo Native Americans
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about Navajo Native Americans, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Navajo Native Americans are as follows:
- Fact 1 - The Navajo tribe are the indigenous people of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado. They are the largest tribe in the United States today
- Fact 2 - The Navajo were a semi-nomadic tribe of hunter farmers. Men were in charge of hunting for food and protecting the camp and the women were in charge of the home and land. The Navajo kept sheep and women spun and wove wool into cloth
- Fact 3 - Homes and Houses: Earthen houses (also called hogans, earth lodges and pit houses) were the homes of tribes such as the Navajo, the Sioux and West Coast or Plateau Native Americans.
- Fact 4 - Earth lodges were semi-subterranean dwellings which were dug from the earth, with a wooden domed mound built over the top which was covered with earth or reeds
- Fact 5 - The name of a famous Navajo leader was Manuelito who resisted US domination
- Fact 6 - Clothes and Clothing - Clothes were generally made from the skins of small animals such as rabbit. Then with the advent of sheep farming their clothes were also made from cloth woven from wool for ponchos, blankets and cloaks
- Fact 7 - Clothing for men: Men originally wore breechcloths which were made from a long rectangular piece of animal skin or cloth which was worn between the legs and tucked over a belt, so that the flaps of the breechcloth covered the front and behind. The legs were bare.
- Fact 8 - Clothing: The women also wore skirts made of woven yucca fiber. The Soaptree yucca is a perennial plant which is is native to western Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and northern Mexico. Yucca fiber was also used to make sandals, belts, cloth, baskets and mats
- Fact 9 - Headbands - Men wore different types of cloth headbands
- Fact 10 - Clothing for women: Women wore cloaks which were then replaced by woollen blankets
- Fact 11 - Shoes and footwear: Moccasins were made of soft leather or deerskin and sewn together with deer sinew. Moccasins were a soft slip on shoe, or slipper, consist of a sole and sides made of one piece of leather, stitched together at the top and were a light beige color.
- Fact 12 - Food: Men hunted deer, small game and fish. As farmers crops were produced for corn, beans, squash and sunflower seeds. Crops, meat and fish were supplemented by nuts, berries and fruits. They then started to raise sheep and goats
- Fact 13 - The Navajo speak dialects of the language family referred to as Athabaskan
- Fact 14 - The Navajo are noted as stockbreeders and skilled weavers, potters, and silversmiths
- Fact 15 - Hair: Hair was kept long and worn in a traditional hair knot called a Tsiiyeel which is wrapped in white yarn.
- Fact 16 - Jewelry: Women wore turquoise and silver jewelry
- Fact 17 - Face paint / War Paint: The Navajo did not paint their faces or bodies except for special religious ceremonies
- Fact 18 - Navajo weapons: Weapons included bows and arrows, and knives
- Fact 19 - Enemies of the Navajo tribe included the Pueblos, Comanche, Apaches and Utes
- Fact 20 - History: In 1863 American force under Kit Carson killed Navajo sheep
- Fact 21 - In 1863-4 9000 Navaho Indians were forced to move 300 miles to Fort Sumner (The Long Walk) many died on the way
Facts about Navajo Native Americans
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts about Navajo Native Americans which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about Navajo Indians are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about Navajo Native Americans and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of Navajo Native Americans.