Did you Know? List of Facts about Musk Oxen
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting Facts about Musk Oxen, trivia and information, including some useful statistics about animals will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about Musk Oxen are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: Musk Oxen (Ovibos moschatus) are a massive Arctic mammal of the Bovidae family, noted for its dark brown, thick, shaggy coat and for the strong odour emitted by males.
- Fact 2 - Musk Oxen are not ox or sheep but they are related to both!
- Fact 3 - Musk oxen are named for the musky odor which comes from their fur
- Fact 4 - Their thick, shaggy coat protects them in their cold habitat
- Fact 5 - They have large and powerful horns
- Fact 6 - Musk Oxen are found in Greenland, Alaska and the Arctic
- Fact 7 - Their fur consists of thick, shaggy, long hair that almost touches the ground
- Fact 8 - Musk Oxen stats and facts
- Weight: 180 to 400 kg (397 to 882 lb)
- Length: Females - Up to 135 to 200 cm (53.1 to 78.7 in)
- Length: Males - Up to 200 to 250 cm (78.7 to 98.4 in),
- Height: Up to 1.2 m (3 ft 11.2 in)
- Habitat: Wetlands
- Diet: Oxen are herbivores eating mainly reeds, grass and ferns
- Predators include Wolves and Bears
- Fact 9 - Musk Oxen live in herds and defend themselves from predators by forming a circle, horns pointing outward, which is difficult for predators to penetrate - except for hunters with guns
- Fact 10 - They fight for dominance within the herd leading to many deaths of young Musk Oxen
- Fact 11 - A herd of Musk oxen generally consists of 2 dozen animals
- Fact 12 - Their musky odor is used to attract females during mating season
- Fact 13 - The collective name for a group is a herd
- Fact 14 - Males are called bulls
- Fact 15 - Females are called cows
- Fact 16 - The names given to babies are calves
- Fact 17 - Conservation Status - for more info click Endangered Species:
- The Oxen has been evaluated and is listed by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) as 'Least Concern' and as such they do not qualify as Endangered, Threatened or Near Threatened species'
- Least Concern - LC (Status: At Lower Risk) - No immediate threat to the survival of the species.
Facts about Musk Oxen - Scientific Names / Classification
Scientific Names / Classification of Oxen - The scientists who study animals (zoology) are called zoologists. Each animal that is studied is classified, that is, split into descriptive groups starting with main groups (vertebrates and invertebrates) the Families of animals are also included and the families are then split into species. These various scientific Facts about Musk Oxen are as follows:
- Kingdom: Animalia
Binomial Name: Ovibos moschatus
Facts about Musk Oxen
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting Facts about Musk Oxen which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting Facts about Musk Oxen are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia and facts! Many of these interesting pieces of animal information and fun Facts about Musk Oxen and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of animals and Oxen.