Did you Know? List of Interesting Facts about the Caribbean
Facts are statements which are held to be true and often contrasted with opinions and beliefs. Our unusual and interesting facts about the Caribbean, trivia and information, including some useful statistics will fascinate everyone from kids and children to adults. Interesting Facts about the Caribbean are as follows:
- Fact 1 - Definition: The Caribbean is a region consisting of the Caribbean Sea and the Caribbean islands
- Fact 2 - The Caribbean is located South-east of the Gulf of Mexico and North America, East of Central America, and to the north of South America.
- Fact 3 - The Caribbean sea is an arm of the Atlantic Ocean between North and South America
- Fact 4 - The Caribbean sea is the origin of the Gulf stream
- Fact 5 - The Caribbean takes its name from that of the Carib an indigenous tribe of the region
- Fact 6 - The names of the Caribbean Islands are Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Hispaniola, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherland Antilles, Puerto Rico Facts, St. Barthelemy, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Martin, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos and the Virgin Islands
- Fact 7 - Many of the residents are descendants of African slaves. Sir Francis Drake was an Officer on West African slave ships and sailed to the region with his cousin John Hawkins
- Fact 8 - “Spanish Main” referred to the coastal region surrounding the Caribbean Sea and South America
- Fact 9 - Spanish treasures fleets were attacked by the famous Elizabethan pirates who used many of the Caribbean Islands as their bases.
- Fact 10 - Situated on the Caribbean Plate, the region comprises more than 7,000 islands, most of which are not populated. These islands are called the West Indies mark the eastern and northern edges of the Caribbean Sea.
- Fact 11 - The climate of the region is tropical.
- Fact 12 - The Largest cities are Santo Domingo, Havana, Santiago de los Caballeros, Port-au-Prince, Kingston, Santiago de Cuba and San Juan
- Fact 13 - The region is subject to frequent hurricanes and tropical storms
- Fact 14 - The region sits in the line of several major shipping routes with the man-made Panama Canal connecting the western Caribbean Sea with the Pacific Ocean
- Fact 15 - Famous people such as Rhianna, Sean Kingston, Sean Paul and Bob Marley come from the islands
Facts about the Caribbean
We have included a selection of trivia and interesting facts which we hope will be of help with homework. Most of these interesting facts about the Caribbean are quite amazing and some are little known pieces of trivia! Many of these interesting and random pieces of information and fun facts about the Caribbean and info will help you increase your knowledge on the subject of the Caribbean.